How can decorators decide which transfer to use for a job?
When considering heat printing from a very high level, there are four main buckets of products:
- Heat transfer vinyl
- Screen-printed transfers
- Digital transfers
- Special finishes and effects
While there are many choices, finishes, and styles within each, dispatching the work often comes down to having a solid understanding of the buckets. Consider these fast facts.
- Heat transfer vinyl is best used when the logo is two or fewer colors and 24 or less in quantity
- Screen-printed transfers are best used when the logo is low in the number of colors and 24 or more in quantity
- Digital transfers are best used when the logo has three or more colors and can potentially be used at any quantity
- Special finishes and effects is a category that needs to be explored because there are a lot of unique options available such as sublimated twill, dimensional logos, and patches that deliver looks beyond a standard logo
With this baseline understanding, you can get a job within the right technology bucket and dig further into a specific product choice based on finish, feel, and fabric compatibility. While a logo can be produced in almost any way, not getting a job into the best method may leave you short on your profitability goals, priced out of the market, or overburdened with labor.
For more on choosing the right transfer, check out:For the full-length article on "which transfer fits," read the Ellsworths' article in Printwear March.